Re: URI-protocol mapping (was Re: How to add new "protocols" ?)

Ron Daniel Jr. (rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:51:28 -0700

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:51:28 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
From: "Ron Daniel Jr." <rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: URI-protocol mapping (was Re: How to add new "protocols" ?)
Cc: touch@isi.edu, uri@bunyip.com

At 04:31 PM 2/20/97 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
>For example, I notice that Ron Daniel's proposes[1] some mechanisms
>for URN resolution. Funny enough: they work just fine on
>strings like:
>
>	http://www.foo.com/software/latest-beta.exe

That's why the title of the draft talks about resolving URIs, not URNs. :-)

>Personally, I caved in a while ago: the community refers
>to these things as URLs (as in "hurl me an url, dude!"),
>so I call them URLs almost all
>the time. I don't feel that having two or three terms
>(URI, URN) which differ only in their connotations, rather
>than in the technical mechanisms and uses, is useful at all.

Well, there is at least one place where I think a useful technical
distinction can be made. URNs are to be location-independent. Not
only is the notion of a "location-independent locator" a bit
tortured, I would have a hard time calling
  http://www.foo.com/whatever
a URN since it clearly has a preferred location for resolution.

Regards,

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545