Attributes should only be there if part of the name/address space

At 04:25 PM 2/6/97 -0800, Erik Guttman wrote:

>I am working on the Service Location Protocol (SLP).
>We associate attributes with services.  The services are
>identified using a service: URL scheme.  Since these
>attributes have multiple values and may be quite extensive
>in number and size we include a mechanism in SLP to register
>and transfer them in replies outside of the URL. It may be
>useful to include SLP attributes in the service: URL,
>for small numbers of reasonably sized attributes.

If I understand this correctly (if not correct me), the attributes are not
needed in order
to identify the services. The services have these attributed juts as web
documents
have titles and expiry dates.  If this is the case, then under no
circumstances should
any information other than those needed to identify an object be included
in the URL.
If the information *is* needed to identify the object, then it must
(clearly) be included
in the URL.

>The discussion makes it clear that attributes can be used
>quite effectively in URLs, but only discusses single valued
>attributes.

I assume we are all happy with a single value being a list with some allowed
delimiter.

Tim Berners-Lee   http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee
Director, World Wide Web Consortium http://www.w3.org
MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA
02139 USA
phone://1/617/253 5702     fax://1/617/258/5999