Re: 8 bit characters in DNS names (and URNs?)

At 21.12 96-03-06, Larry Masinter wrote:
>While uppercase mapping is culturally sensitive, can we not make a
>culturally independent 'character matching' algorithm that is good
>enough for directory services. Perhaps it means treating accented and
>unaccented versions of French initial capitals equivalent, even though
>this equivalence is not determined by 'canonicalization'?

One can discuss if the algorithm is correct or not, but that algorithm
is defined in UNICODE 1.1, i.e. both decomposition rules and how to
do case-independent matches.

Note that I am not claiming that it is correct - any of the two lagorithms,
but the good thing is that we have _one_ definition and that is what is
needed in this case.

   Patrik

   Bunyip Information Systems Inc.      Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
   Internet: paf@bunyip.com             Phone: +1-514-875-8611

   In theory, it's no difference between theory and practice,
   but in practice, it is.