Re: Client-side expanded url's

Gregory J. Woodhouse (gjw@wnetc.com)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:41:26 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:41:26 -0800 (PST)
From: "Gregory J. Woodhouse" <gjw@wnetc.com>
To: Gary Adams - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS <Gary.Adams@east.sun.com>
Cc: uri@bunyip.com, mirsad.todorovac@fer.hr, tm@rasips2.rasip.etf.hr
Subject: Re: Client-side expanded url's

It occurs to me that this could function somewhat like mail exchangers.
In the domain name system, a domain may have any number of MX records,
with eachc being given a preference. The MTA thene tries them in order.
Similarly, web UA could try the first server and if it doesn't respond
(or is too slow, whatever that means) go on to the second. Under this
scheme, my home pave would look something like

http://{www.wnetc.com,5;www.best.com/%7Egjw,10}

In this case, nothing would be gained, but it might be useful with mirror
sites, or to specify that a local copy should be used if it is available,
as it

{file://,0;http://127.0.0.1,5;http://wherever.ext}<rest of URL>

---
Gregory Woodhouse     gjw@wnetc.com