Re: http charset labelling

Masataka Ohta (mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp)
Fri, 9 Feb 96 10:16:15 JST

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: http charset labelling
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 10:16:15 JST
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com, keld@dkuug.dk, uri@bunyip.com

> >Because of duplicated shape of 'A' for Latin and Greek capital
> >letter 'A' and alpha, and because of duplicated encoding of Big5,
> >encoding information, in general, is no fix for unique conversion
> >from shape on a paper to internal code.
>
> Nor should there be. People map from a glyph to a *character*, which
> is quite different to a character code. I have enough trouble mapping
> some glyphs to characters.

Then, why do you think you can force people to perform the
troublesome mapping?

> God forbid that I have to memorize the
> character codes as well!

Don't worry. Some gods are blessing us to give '%' notation.

> >Then, non-ASCII URLs will disappear.
>
> If anyone speaks to you in anything other than English, reject the
> sentence. Quite an appealing idea.

Sigh... You don't even understand the difference between English and
ASCII.

My mail address is in ASCII but NOT English, though non-ASCII mail
addresses are rejected all around the Internet.

							Masataka Ohta