Re: http charset labelling

Larry Masinter writes:

> > The notation should not be on business cards etc, I think we
> > all agree on this. It should not either be in URLs in html docs,
> > I also think we all agree on that.
>
> No, I completely disagree. If people are going to be so foolish as to
> put their URLs on their business cards, they should put them there in
> a form that is useful. And certainly HTML documents absolutely need to
> know how the URL is represented.

I am not sure what you are saying here: do you mean that the user
should know what charset the URL is encoded in at the server?
I think you previously said that URLs are independent of encoding,
also Franc,ois said that it is not possible to see on a business
card what charset the c-cedille in his name is coded in.
This is also a general paradigme in IT standardization: you
operate on an abstract character level.

Or do you say that a URL should clearly identify where a
resource is located? I do not disagree to that one.

Keld