Re: html, http, urls and internationalisation

Glenn Adams (glenn@spyglass.com)
Thu, 1 Feb 96 09:12:06 -0500

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@spyglass.com>
Date: Thu,  1 Feb 96 09:12:06 -0500
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: html, http, urls and internationalisation
Cc: keld@dkuug.dk, masinter@parc.xerox.com, yergeau@alis.ca,

    From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
    Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 10:30:01 JST

    >   ... for example big-5 is not covered by ISO 10646 ...
    >
    > Why do you say this?

    In Big-5, two characters are duplicatedly encoded to have two code
    points. So, mapping from CNS 11643 or ISO 10646 can not be one to
    one.

Keld said "covered" not "maps one-to-one".  In any case, I agree that
there exists a need to use other character sets with the %XX encoding.
On the other hand, it would be reasonable to indicate a default inter-
pretation, and, for this purpose, I would suggest the UTF-8 encoding of
ISO/IEC 10646 (= Unicode 1.1).

Regards,
Glenn