Re: Comments on url-syntax-draft...

Foteos Macrides (MACRIDES@sci.wfbr.edu)
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:41:06 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:41:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@sci.wfbr.edu>
Subject: Re: Comments on url-syntax-draft...
To: jayhawk@ds.internic.net
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

Ryan Moats <jayhawk@ds.internic.net> wrote:
>[..]
>One reason is that URNs are more general than URLs.  Another is that
>URN syntax pushes the deterministic structure off to the namespace
>resolver.  Another is that URLs are inherently tied to the underlying
>filesystem structure.  There are more, but this should be a start.
>[...]

	I don't understand your claim that URLs are inherently tied
to the underlying filesystem strucure.  The path field in a generic
URL is a "slash-separated hierarchy of symbolic elements" (*not* Unix
filesystem paths 8-).  Each "symbolic element" and/or the overall
path field can have mappings to the the local filesystem structure,
(e.g., by server mappings and/or local system enviroment variables or
symbolic links) but the URL syntax, itself, is platform/filesystem
independent.

				Fote