Re: Comments on url-syntax-draft...

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:18:20 PST

To: jayhawk@ds.internic.net
Cc: uri@bunyip.com, urn-ietf@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: Comments on url-syntax-draft...
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:18:20 PST

Ryan,

I don't think we intend for 'a:b:c:d' to be parsed as belonging to
scheme 'a:b:c', so I think we should fix the regular expression in
appendix B to treat 'urn:isbn:1-32456-78902-X' as belonging to
scheme 'urn' and not scheme 'urn:isbn'.

I don't know how to proceed on the issue of changing the URL draft to
describe URNs and URN parsing. I think if we're going to proceed from
Proposed Standard to Draft Standard that we are not supposed to add
functionality, and that the only changes we can make are those that
are consistent with current practice.

I don't know why URNs don't require any determinist structure to URNs
while it seemed important that URLs require such a structure for URLs.
(Actually, URLs don't make such a requirement, they just don't
guarantee that relative URLs work if you don't use it.)

Larry