Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:33:29 PDT
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: irc: [was: New URN suggestion ]

At 10:21 PM 8/20/96 PDT, you wrote:
>the primary intent is to resolve the differences between RFC 1738
>(URL) and RFC 1808 (relative URL), as well as fix a few other things.

Can I suggest an RFC clarification? Netscape and MS IE do different things with:

ftp://foo:bar@ftp.foo.com

Netscape seems to do a "pwd" to find out where it is, and change the URL to
match. (usu. ftp.foo.com/users/foo )

MS IE seems to do a "cd /" and change the URL to match. (ftp.foo.com/ )

I don't think that the RFC spec was clear on this issue, but I didn't spend
a lot of time researching it.

 Paul Prescod