Re: request for a new URL scheme

Reed Wade (wade@cs.utk.edu)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:09:09 -0400

To: "John C. Daub" <hsoi@tamu.edu>
Cc: wade@cs.utk.edu, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: request for a new URL scheme
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:09:09 -0400
From: Reed Wade <wade@cs.utk.edu>

This is not necessarily a bad idea but I think you'll
have a very hard time getting this adopted. And if
adopted, implemented by browser writers.

I'd suggest trying something a little different.

Define a new mime type that's associated with a
well formed mud description.

For example

x-application/mud-info

as the mime type for a file that looks like this:

host: blah.org
port: 8080
admin-contact: mudguy@blah.org

You'd then need some sort of helper application that
would read this file and fire off the mud client
(or build this functionality into the mud client).

One advantage to this is that it could be done
without any browser changes. If it becomes popular
then browser writers could easily obviate the helper
application.

Another advantage is that the people who care most
about it, the mud community, get to make the important
decisions about how it would work.

Reed Wade
---------
University of Tennessee, Knoxville            Dept of Computer Science
Netlib Development Group         'Dust--is round off error.' says geek
wade@cs.utk.edu -- <URL:http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/ReedWade.html>