Re: Proposition on advanced URL features (Request for comments)

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU)
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:51:47 -0800

To: Rick Troth <troth@compassnet.com>
Cc: Mirsad Todorovac <tm@rasips1.rasip.etf.hr>, uri@bunyip.com,
Subject: Re: Proposition on advanced URL features (Request for comments)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:51:47 -0800
From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>

> Some of us are using the generalization
>
> 	http://host[:port]/path[;parameters][#anchor][?searchargs]

I hope you meant

  	http://host[:port]/path[;parameters][?searchargs][#anchor]

> allowing for state information to be held in the URL.

That has no effect on the existance of state information in a URL
(which, BTW, is always the wrong solution to a stateful session).

> I'd very much like to see this included in formal docs.

The fact that parameters exist is in RFC 1808.  But, this has no impact
on stateful URLs, since generated URLs can be generated in absolute form.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/