Re: mid and cid URLs

Al Gilman (asg@severn.wash.inmet.com)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:44:49 -0500 (EST)

From: asg@severn.wash.inmet.com (Al Gilman)
Subject: Re: mid and cid URLs
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:44:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: asg@severn.wash.inmet.com (Al Gilman), uri@bunyip.com

To follow up on what Larry Masinter said ...

  Why are you arguing this? I don't see what point you're trying to
  make. Sure, they could be the same, they could be different. Why do
  you care? There are reasons -- maybe not great ones -- for making them
  different. But what's the reason for making them the same?

I think that we need to be able to apply a lot of variations on
the mailto: action.  Now or eventually.  The "Mailserver:" case
is a point in the interior of this region.  Putting a point
solution in there that does not fit into a systematic solution
for the more general case will just cause trouble later.
That is why I am arguing for a systematic approach under the
umbrella of one scheme name.  It leaves the path clear for more
growth in capability.

Al