Two ways of implementing CID: and MID: schemes

Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:00:56 +0100

From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
To: ietf-822@list.cren.net
Cc: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Two ways of implementing CID: and MID: schemes
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:00:56 +0100

Going over the recent debate, I thought I'd show two ways of implementing
CID: and MID: URLs without modifying browser code.

Both follow the "UA->RA->Viewer" model that I think Ed Levinson
used first.

1) MODIFY THE HTML

UA: Passes the whole multipart/related to the RA
RA: Stores all parts in separate files, replaces all occurences of
    the Cid: and Mid: URL with file: URLs.
Browser: does its thing.

2) PROXY THE COMMANDS

This depends critically on the theory that browser implementors
will have an easy way of using the xyzzy_proxy environment variable
when an xyzzy: URL is encountered.

UA: Passes the whole multipart/related to the RA
RA: Indexes the body (maybe saving it to file, maybe not), starts
    listening on port 12345 (random), and sets mid_proxy and cid_proxy
    to localhost:12345 before invoking the browser
Browser: Does its thing.

If I can think of two ways, there must be more.....
(NOTE: I set the followup-to to ietf-822, since that list seems to
be the only one blessed with both of the message threads that I scanned
to come up with this message...)

            Harald A