Re: report: URN Architecture Meeting at University of Tennessee, Oct 30-31

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:

> URN Architecture Meeting
>    examples:
>
>     URN:edu/uiuc/ncsa:doc-1234

Two questions:
 - why slashes?
 - why in reverse order ?

We have implemented a URN resolver that uses this syntax:
 URN:ncsa.uiuc.edu:doc-1234
(of course, it is no great effort to support your syntax)

Also, we assume that the resolver is on machine:
 urn.ncsa.uiuc.edu
(if the hostname does not already begin with 'urn.')
If not, we try: ncsa.uiuc.edu

> 4. New TLD (probably .URN)
>
>    It is judged desirable to promote the introduction of a new
>    top-level domain in DNS for the restricted purpose of URN resolution
>    and to ensure/promote the longevity of the names assigned under this
>    TLD.

With a new TLD, are you saying that we (for example) would
have a resolver at dstc.edu.au.urn  ??

Cheers... Renato
Dr Renato Iannella               www: http://www.dstc.edu.au/RDU/staff/ri
Research Data Network CRC                       email: renato@dstc.edu.au
DSTC Pty Ltd                                       phone: +61 7 3365 4310
University of Queensland, 4072, AUSTRALIA            fax: +61 7 3365 4311