Re: The Path URN Specification

John Curran (jcurran@nic.near.net)
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 03:24:16 -0500

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 03:24:16 -0500
To: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
From: John Curran <jcurran@nic.near.net>
Subject: Re: The Path URN Specification
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

At 5:58 PM 3/17/95, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:

>The resolution process proceeds as follows.
>
> 1. The entire URN, except the scheme and the final component, is
>   converted to a DNS name appended with ".path.urn". For example,
>
>      path:/A/B2/C1/doc.html is converted to
>      c1.b2.a.path.urn

Hmm.

Is there an implicit assumption regarding the relationship between
the "ownership" of a given DNS domain and an associated subdomain
under the "path.urn" space?   Is there explicitly no relationship?

For example, could I register one of my servers as the "uiuc.edu" URN
servers, and thereby preempt use of URNs which begin <path:/uiuc.edu/...>?

It might be a good idea to have some discussion in the document about
the operational and administrative impacts of this mapping approach.

/John