How much R in RFC? (was: Quoting URLs, filenames in email,postings)

In article <3joivn$f4e@panix3.panix.com>, Tom Neff <tneff@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <3jo7uc$3a4@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Andrew Daviel <advax@triumf.ca> wrote:
>>What's the best, most elegant, etc. way to quote filenames or URLs
>>in email, postings, printed material, etc.
>
>See RFC1738 for a suggestion that seems to be catching on.  The idea is
		[literate explanation]
			.
			.
			.
Utterly tangential question:  how is it that RFC discussants
*never* post announcements in newsgroups?  To me, it seems
quite natural that, for example, T. B.-L et al. would have
made a point of alerting a.c.u that RFC1738 is of interest,
and pointing to <URL: http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1738.html>
and mirrors for details.  Has that been happening somewhere
without me noticing?

I've narrowed follow-ups.