Re: Intelligent Rating Systems

Kee Hinckley (nazgul@utopia.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:13:21 -0400

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:13:21 -0400
To: Michael Dillon <michael@junction.net>
From: nazgul@utopia.com (Kee Hinckley)
Subject: RE: Intelligent Rating Systems
Cc: bede@scotty.mitre.org, www-talk@www10.w3.org, immedia@netwest.com,

>I don't think you can trust a WWW server's rating at all. There are
>people who will quickly abuse such a system so it is best not even

In what sense don't you think you can trust it?  In particular, something
that hasn't been pointed out by the mainstream press is that the amount of
R/X rated material on Web Sites is actually pretty low (at least, I haven't
found much :-).  It's the same reason there aren't a lot of free-access ftp
sites for X rated information - they get swamped with requests.  I'm not
too worried about some kid setting up an X rated web site with a false
rating - the access will be so poor that it will be nearly inaccessable.
The only way to deal with that is to start charging, at which point the
system now has as good a filter as any phone sex system.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects=81    617/721-6100
nazgul@utopia.com                               http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.