Re: Intelligent Rating Systems

Daniel LaLiberte (liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 26 Jun 95 23:59:14 CDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 95 23:59:14 CDT
From: liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Daniel LaLiberte)
To: bede@scotty.mitre.org, rmr@cs.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: Intelligent Rating Systems
Cc: rating@junction.net, uri@bunyip.com, www-talk@www10.w3.org

	From: "R. Martin Roscheisen" <rmr@cs.stanford.edu>

	Yes, two separate retrievals, and not only two, but one (for the
	document retrieval) plus n other requests to n meta information
	servers which serve m rating topics (m>=n).

Martin argues as I would.  If you want to read some more scalability
arguments for group and public annotations in general, my paper in the
spring 95 WWW conference is available at:

  http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~liberte/www/scalable-annotations.html

	You cannot assume that a content provider will be willing to carry
	ratings by others.

True, but if they do offer them, why not consider them, with due caution?