FWD: SGML URC spec comments (4/4)

Right, the final generation in the messages between Brian and myself
about the URC spec. Note the foreshadowing in my second sentence. :-)

--- Forwarded mail from <rdaniel@idaknow.acl.lanl.gov> ("Ronald E. Daniel")

From: "Ronald E. Daniel" <rdaniel@idaknow.acl.lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 09:45:17 -0600
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Subject: Re: Agent-mediated access (was Re: Criticism of Kidcode...)

On Jun 23,  1:39am, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > May I have your permission
> > to forward your message to the URI list?
>
> Um, sure, if it doesn't expose my ignorance too much :)

No worries there. I will try to find our messages in my extremely
well-organized mail archives, then send them along to the URI list.

> ... I need a way to tell if a URC I find is a recent
> copy, is still "fresh", yes?  I guess that's not much different than
> asking a proxy asking a server if a given HTML document is fresh (by
> sending an if-modified-since request)....

Yeah pretty much the same. Also, we will probably be adding some
meta-metadata elements to the default attribute set so that people
can look at the revision history of a URC.

> <URN:vrml:www.vrml.org:teaport>

Could be, although <URN:x-dns-2:etc would also work. It is the
www.vrml.org group that needs to define the naming system used
where you have "teapot" now.

I *really* hope we get some agreement on URNs at the Stockholm IETF.

> I hope
> they're writing a Java front end to handle the extra GUI for these
> functionalities.

Indeed. If they don't someone else will.

--
Ron Daniel Jr.                email: rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov
Advanced Computing Lab        voice: (505) 665-0597

---End of forwarded mail from <rdaniel@idaknow.acl.lanl.gov> ("Ronald E. Daniel")