Re: Follow up on charter proposal

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 1995 18:24:07 -0400
To: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>
Cc: uri@bunyip.com, moore@cs.utk.edu
> Keith Moore writes:
>
> | The "URNs considered harmful" draft has a similar proposal, only
> | it uses the domain from a URL as the "naming authority" for the
> | DNS lookup.
>
> The approach you suggest appeals greatly, though I think it would be
> even nicer were there a way to get at least the catalog server's port
> number and protocol name into the RCS records... :-)

Actually, the RC server that we have written serves as both a catalog
server (for URNs/URLs) and a location information server (for LIFNs)
(there is a separate RPC call for each function).

If we can standardize on a single interface to a catalog server, life
becomes a lot simpler.  If we cannot standardize on this, it makes
sense to put the port number and protocol name in the RCS record.

Keith