Re: URN Resolution Paths Considered Harmful

Patrik Faltstrom (paf@bunyip.com)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:54:47 -0400

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:54:47 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, sollins@lcs.mit.edu
From: paf@bunyip.com (Patrik Faltstrom)
Subject: Re: URN Resolution Paths Considered Harmful
Cc: liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu, uri@bunyip.com, FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com

At 17.21 95-07-05, Larry Masinter wrote:
>Should someone be able to replicate a URN->URL service? I.e., is there
>a way to ask the URN->URL service: "What URNs do you resolve and what
>are their URLs?"
>
>Are there any privacy issues here?

Definitely, yes, there are privacy issues here.

A URN can for example identify a white-pages record, and in some
countries there is legal issues bound to what kind of fetches you
are able to do. In sweden you are not allowed, when having a
white-pages database, to have sameone able to "dump" the database.
You are only allowed searching, and you are forced to only allow
a certain number of "hits".

    Patrik