Problem with mail URLs - was Re: Second round...

From: Rob Raisch <raisch@internet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:48:06 -0500
To: ietf-lists@proper.com (Paul Hoffman), chrisf@sour.sw.oz.au (Christopher Fraser), uri@bunyip.com, hoymand@gate.net (Dirk Herr-Hoyman)
I have a concern I'd like to air.  Actually, it's more of a nagging feeling of
unease than a concern.  But here goes...

There is a question in my mind regarding the purpose to which we would like to
put URLs.  The crux of this question is that mailto: and mailserver: do not, I
believe, describe means which can be used to retrieve network resources.

I have always understood a URL to be composed of three important parts:

	- How we will retrieve the stated resource  -- (http, gopher, etc.)
	- From where we will retrieve a resource -- (host:port)
	- What resource we will retrieve -- (opaque URL specific info)

Rather than a prescription which can be used to retrieve network accessible
resources, these URLs provide a means of initiating a process, which can,
perhaps, initiate the retrieval of a network accessible resource -- through a
channel external to the browser, but is not necessarily required to.  We seem
to already have a method of initiating processes such as these, the CGI API, no?

Now, is it just me or does this grate on others as well?  I don't think that we
really understand what we did when we defined the mailto: URL, and guess I am
concerned how this will affect our understanding and the ultimate deployment of
URNs.

Comments?

		</rr>