Re: Second round for new URL scheme (mailserver)

Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymand@gate.net)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:29:53 -0500

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:29:53 -0500
To: ietf-lists@proper.com (Paul Hoffman),
From: hoymand@gate.net (Dirk Herr-Hoyman)
Subject: Re: Second round for new URL scheme (mailserver)

At 3:48 PM 1/10/95, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>A useful addition would be an token which gets
>>replaced with the user's email address by the browser before the mail
>>gets sent.
>>. . .
>>I'm not sure what the best way be to encode such a token would be. Anyone
>>got any ideas?
>
>I also agree that this would be useful. Possibly we can specify an uncommon
>delimiter for tokens, such as "++" before and after, that can be used or
>ignored by the client. Thus, "++my-address++" could be automatically
>replaced by the client when the mail message is presented to the user for
>approval; if it isn't replaced, at least it will still stand out visually
>and the user will (hopefully) change it before sending the message off.
>
>On the other hand, there is no concept of such tokens in the URL spec, and
>I'm not sure that this is the proper place to open that client-side
>CanO'Worms. If we do, we should make it scalable to the other URL schemes.
>Off the top of my head, I can see how it could also be useful in the telnet
>scheme.

Isn't this just a client issue?  We already know that the client is to
insert a From: header with the user's e-mail address.  This is, in fact,
how the mailto: is supposed to work (though it's not explicit in the spec).
If you want to have an alternate e-mail address specifically for the
mailserver URL, well, that's up to the client writers to implement.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net> |          I tried to contain myself
CyberBeach Publishing               |                                but