Re: Library Standards and URIs

At 6:34 PM 1/7/95, Larry Masinter wrote:
>> And in the spirit of brainstorming, I'll pass along this new proposal:
>
>I can't see any obvious way to connect 'this new proposal' with what
>we're trying to accomplish with URCs. Could you elaborate? Give some
>examples of what some typical URCs would look like?

Sorry Larry, perhaps I wasn't being clear in my intent.  I saw the Standard
Multimedia Scripting Language proposal, and the fact that it references
SGML/HyTime, and thought there might be something useful here.  Cross
pollenation and all that.

Let me throw out a couple more possibilities for extending the attribute
set for URC in the SGML context.  I guess I'm adding to Ron's straw man
here:

1) Let each URC declare it's own DTD.  We would define a standard DTD, with
a minimal set of standard attributes.  For anything else, the DTD could be
checked at resolution time.

2) Allow for multi-part, nested URCs, where each piece is resolved
individually.  Each piece has it's own DTD, as in 1 above.

In 1, there is a problem with enforcing a standard attribute set.
Presumably, there could be registered DTD, which is just like the IAFA
template concept, but to allow for full flexibility, arbitary DTDs would
have to be allowed somewhere.

2 could solve the problem of a standard attribute set, but it seems clumsy
to implement.

I'm not sure that either of these is a class/inheritance scheme, 2 is
closer to this.

I think what Ron suggested in his straw man, assemblying a DTD from bits in
a TEI-like manner, would be in my 1 above.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net> |          I tried to contain myself
CyberBeach Publishing               |                                but