Shunned ports [was: Predraft of a new URL scheme: mailmsg ]

In message <01HLHKVL7ZL68ZDW0P@INNOSOFT.COM>, Ned Freed writes:
>> > ... and a list of standard ports to shun should probably be added.
>
>This leaves the following ports that are clearly either useless or potentially
>harmful:

Couldn't this be generalized a little bit? Can't we assume, for
example, that the HTTP service is _always_ either on port 80, or on
some port >1024?

Similarly, gopher is _always_ either on port 79 or on some port >1024.

This rules out the gopher: hack to access finger info. I won't loose
any sleep over that. A finger: URL should probably be deployed, along
with gateway interim solutions.

Dan