Re: Predraft 1 for finger URL scheme

Reed Wade (wade@cs.utk.edu)
Wed, 08 Feb 1995 23:59:30 -0500

To: ietf-lists@proper.com (Paul Hoffman)
Cc: uri@bunyip.com, Peter N Lewis <peter@mail.peter.com.au>, wade@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: Predraft 1 for finger URL scheme
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 23:59:30 -0500
From: Reed Wade <wade@cs.utk.edu>

I suggested this last august or so but never wrote it up
in RFC style form. Now I can't find my notes on the subject
(I think we discussed it on the www-talk list.)

Two points to consider-

1. always interpret the result as plain text; we basically
   decided that allowing embedded html and friends was just
   plain silly, tho tempting

2. don't forget to support the /W option (sec 2.5.4 of RFC1288)

As to finger:user@host or finger://user@host --
Don't forget that there may be 2 hosts involved,
the @host part and the host you actually connect to,
they needn't be the same.

So, you may want-
	finger://host1/[W/]user[@host2]

As to security, don't allow ports other than the
default and don't transmit CR's or LF's.

-reed

I guess I better get back on that snmp url also...

-----
University of Tennessee, Knoxville            Dept of Computer Science
Netlib Development Group            'I was kidding,' says bomb suspect
wade@cs.utk.edu -- <URL:http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/ReedWade.html>