Re: HTTP URL to support multiple naming services

Paul Rarey (Paul.Rarey@systems.dhl.com)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 22:05:27 -0800

From: Paul Rarey <Paul.Rarey@systems.dhl.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 22:05:27 -0800
To: kball@Novell.COM, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: HTTP URL to support multiple naming services

On Jan 31, 11:29, Keith Ball wrote:
> Subject: HTTP URL to support multiple naming services

[ Stuff Deleted ]

}The nameservice that we will initially support will be NDS, BINDERY,
}and DNS.  NDS and BINDERY are 2 forms of NetWare name service.
}
}An example URL:
}
}http://www.novell.com/@@NDS:webserver.IS.novell.us/homepage.html

I don't favor exposing Netware (nor any other vendor) specific naming
challenges to the Internet.

Why not just write parsing / mapping extension for a webserver you
(Novell) provide for Netware? You could handle all of this for your NDS
& BINDERY naming scheme and keep it internal to Netware environment and
proxy it in your own Web server product.

For example, the above URL section "/@@NDS:webserver.IS.novell.us" could
be specified as "/NDS/webserver.IS.novell.us" and Novell specific
mappings / translations deal with the NDS/BINDERY specific naming.

--
Cheers!

[ psr ]