Re: save everything

Dirk.vanGulik (Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it)
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:09:03 +0200

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:09:03 +0200
From: "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: save everything
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

Larry Wrote:

> I've been wondering how much it costs to save something forever.  If
> we're paying $0.30/megabyte now, and disk prices go down by 1/2 every
> 5 years, then we'll pay $0.15 cents/megabyte in 5 years, so the
> present value of 'disk forever' is probably under $1/megabyte. Are
> these numbers a serious underestimate? I've not accounted for system
> administration costs, of course.

You can guite some information on this in the Remote Sensing
community; they constantly struggle with having to drag around
terra bytes of information. I am afraid that the 'real' costs are
more in the administration and housing etc. Having it pseudo on-line
is even more expensive; something like $120/Mb. I can dig out the
ceos report on this if it is relevant to the discussion ?

Dw.