Re: Globalizing URIs

Jim Conklin wrote:

>  I'd like to make a clarification about my own comments, and request one:
>
>  I believe that Martin's first (and probably later) messages(s) referred
>to URL's, and I responded without noticing, since they were on the uri  or
>urc list.

Yes, they indeed do. URLs are what is most used, and where the problem
is most obvious. Of course, some of our considerations may apply for other
schemes, too.

>  I personally believe that this is really NOT an issue we should pursue
>for URL's, for which I believe wewe've made our decisions and moved beyond
>that.

Whether this is an URL issue or not is mostly a question of definition.
What is needed is some form of identification that allows to use
meaningful text in a wide international setting, in places where
currently URLs are used. Whether we call the result "nice URL" or
"HRL" or whatever is not something I care.

>  I do, however, believe that this is an issue which MUST be pursued at
>whatever UR* level at which humans interact directly with the information,
>either supplying it or reading (etc) it, despite the very real difficulties
>which that presents.  My personal suspicion is that URNs are perhaps the
>right entities for which this issue is relevant.

URNs may be the place, or something else. What I think is important
is that it is something that has a chance of being deveopped and used
in a reasonable time frame. The problem exists today, I have given
many proposals for solutions recently, and I wouldn't want to wait until
the year 2000 because it takes that much time to develop the ultimate
and all encompassing location and semantic independent world-wide
addressing architecture for the next millenium.

Regards,	Martin.