Re: Globalizing URIs

Gavin Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 22:03:14 -0400

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 22:03:14 -0400
From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
To: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch
Cc: mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp, mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs

Masataka Ohta wrote:

>As is proven with passports and airline tickets, 26 Latin characters
>are more than enough to represent names internationally.

This is precisely the thinking that some people have with regard to
SGML tag names. They argue that one can always impose a table-driven
lookup if one really wants native language tags. This is true, but I
cannot understand why this should be necessary, and it complicates a
number of things (like indexing) a lot. When westerners say this, I
always ask them how they would feel if they had to use Arabic for tag
names. I think the Japanese who say this so not understand SGML well,
or are faced with too many problems with using ISO-2022 and SGML
together (it's possible, but not easy).

I think people will to work in ASCII is forced to, but I think most
people *desire* to work in their native language. We should at the
very least give people a choice.