Re: Globalizing URIs

Roy Fielding (fielding@beach.w3.org)
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 19:20:51 -0400

To: Jon Knight <J.P.Knight@lut.ac.uk>
Cc: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 19:20:51 -0400
From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>

>On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Roy Fielding wrote:
>> I'd just like to point out that most of this discussion is ignoring
>> the fact that the transcribability of URLs is one of the main reasons
>> the WWW has been successful in building an information base.
>>
>>     http://www.w3.org/People/Fielding
>>
>>     ismn:893505109550819789356548054910
>
>If that number included check digits and/or error correcting digits then
>the latter might actually aid transcribability (so would splitting it up
>into smaller sections with punctuation characters such as
>ismn:8935.0510.9550.8197.8935.6548.0549.10).

Error correcting digits on a decimal field value?  Keep in mind that
it would require an awful lot of digits for a world-unique value,
and that the error-correcting digits would also need to be transcribed.

>If I had one pound for every mis-printed URL I've come across or person
>coming to ask me how to access a mis-transcribed URL, I'd be a rich man by
>now.  I don't think that current URLs are perfect when it comes to
>transcribability, do you?

No, but I've never come across a human-readable, but mis-transcribed, URL
which I could not figure out the correct transcription just by looking
at it.  If the names are meaningful, humans are better error-correctors
than machines.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)