Re: proxies and FTP

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Sun, 18 Dec 1994 00:55:22 PST

To: steveg@pa.dec.com
Cc: www-proxy@www0.cern.ch, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: proxies and FTP
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 00:55:22 PST

Dealing with FTP servers that allow direct retrieval of full path
names but not the 'cwd' method was an issue. In the end, we came up
with a description in the standard that didn't match current practice,
but was at least unambiguous (you could really tell what a ftp URL
meant) and portable (you wouldn't have to know what operating system,
brand of unix, etc. the remote FTP server was running).

I imagine currently released clients and servers haven't tracked the
proposed standard; I hope they do.

In the meanwhile, the short answer is that you can't reliably give out
ftp URLs for sites/files where cwd A; cwd B; retr C isn't equivalent
to retr A/B/C.