Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications

I am obviously aware that languages evolve. And that is healthy. I am also witnessing similar discussions in other languages where the issue is actually much more complicated: think about languages where gender is much more part of the core grammar than in modern English (like in Germanic or Latin languages).

But my original point seems to have been lost in the thread. Martin and I, though not native English speakers, have been working with English for many years, and have acquired a reasonable proficiency as a result. I am sure we can cope with those changes. But I do not believe we represent the typical audience of our specifications in this respect.

We know that in a number of countries the very fact that almost all our documents are in English represents a challenge. Our readers may have difficulties understanding our specifications. Certain aspects of the problem are intangible, like the fact that the various vocabulary terms, API entries, or our terminologies are all in English: that is a characteristics of our profession overall. But the specification text itself is under our control. And just like speakers of the BBC World, for example, do not use a really strong Scottish accent (much as I'd love the sound of it!), we are supposed to use a relatively simple English that we can reasonably expect our experts all over the world understand. That is where my comment on average English training comes in: we should not use linguistic constructs that are, still, unknown to many.

But I also believe we are going down a rathole for no good reasons. Gregg's original question related to documents like Use Cases, which unavoidably have more "human" stories where *some* kinds of pronoun usage are necessary. I think most of those documents are what Leonie characterized as "collections". In which case

> ... having a balance of gender identities (and other characteristics) is likely to mean more people find the user stories relevant.

is a perfectly valid option. (I actually remember when we edited [1]: we had great fun trying to find a diverse set of person names, not only in terms of gender but also finding names coming from around the globe...). This is what we should promote.

The only technical issue we have is that our pubrules' checker should not make this approach difficult.

Cheers

Ivan

[1] https://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp-ucr/

----