Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications

My native language is French.

Despite finding it slightly awkward at first, it didn’t take me long, nor required an exaggerated effort to adopt the singular “they” when writing or when speaking. I’m increasingly leaning on using it in all circumstances where I’m not aware of the person’s preferred pronoun, so as not to make assumptions about their gender. It’s not completely natural yet, but it’s getting there.

I’m not very concerned about this being confusing to non-native speakers. Different languages treat gender very differently already. For example French doesn’t have the equivalent of “it” or “they”, and as a result everything is gendered, including objects. A rocket is female, for example, but a plane is male. Go figure.

Additionally, our priority of constituencies is pretty clear that we shouldn’t prioritize technical purity over people. And I don’t see why this shouldn’t apply to grammar, too.

—tobie