Re: HTML and DOM LS normative and informative references

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 4:58 AM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
>
> On Jun 24, 2019, at 8:03 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you use [HTML] and [DOM] (rather than e.g. [HTML5] and [DOM4]), the
>> right thing should happen.
>
> I found that fragments within the specs were different, so if using definitions or section references, best double-check.

Yes, excellent point Greg. We have a new tool called "respec-validator" that can check cross references for you either locally or on TravisCI [1]. You can see an example of the set up at [2] - see "install:" and "script:" sections of the .travis.yml file.

There is a little of bit of process to get the respec-validator set up on TravisCI: you need to provide an encrypted personal token from GitHub... so I'm happy to help people get that set up in their repos if needed. Please email me privately for help.

For DOM/HTML cross references, we are currently beta-testing a new automatic cross-referencing feature called "xref" in ReSpec. This new ReSpec feature intelligently links external terms (e.g., [=queue a task=] or {{EventTarget}} for IDL things) to the correct specification, and adds a normative or informative bibliographical reference based on the citation's context. It is backed by the same cross-referencing database that BikeShed uses.

If all goes well, the ReSpec team will be demoing "xref" at the TPAC Tech Plenary.

[1] https://github.com/marcoscaceres/respec-validator
[2] https://github.com/w3c/html-aam/blob/gh-pages/.travis.yml#L11