Re: Dealing with levels in specs

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Denis Ah-Kang <denis@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Tobie for starting the thread of that topic. Levels on /TR have
> indeed started to cause of a lot of problems because so far, we
> don't have a good way to manage the different versions of a
> specification.
> After discussing with different people, we came up with a document
> listing 3 proposals aiming at normalizing the latest version links. It
> is available at:
> https://w3c.github.io/tr-links/versioning/
>
> The idea is to introduce new links to help the different
> audiences (browser implementors, web developers, etc) find the
> version of the specification they are looking for.
>
> Please take a look at the document and I encourage you to create
> issues on the Github repository [1] if you have any questions/comments.
> FYI, I created an issue for each proposal [2][3][4]. Feel free to
> comment on it and/or +1 on your preferred proposal.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Denis
>
> [1] https://github.com/w3c/tr-links
> [2] https://github.com/w3c/tr-links/issues/1
> [3] https://github.com/w3c/tr-links/issues/2
> [4] https://github.com/w3c/tr-links/issues/3

I like this overall, thanks so much for putting it together formally!

@tobie: For your second example, I think it's clear - the "stable"
shortlink goes to the level 1 CR, the "ed" shortlink goes to the level
2 ED.  I presume it's up to the WG to report that a new ED is being
used, as they're not officially published.

For your first example, tho, I echo your concerns.  CSS has examples
of this, either current or in the recent past.  We need a simple,
objective, and useful criteria for deciding whether the "stable"
shortlink points to level 1 or level 2 in that example.  I think that
pointing to level 2 (the CR) is the correct choice here.

~TJ