Re: New publication workflow: Echidna 1.1.1 and Specberus 1.0.3 released

Hi Marcos,

thanks for going through this. I'm sorry that your first attempts with
Echidna were a bit painful, it is still an alpha service and the docs
could indeed use some polish. I was luckier than you: the HTML draft
uncovered a few bugs, but after they were fixed things just sailed through.

On 17/03/2015 19:32 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> # How to use Echidna with ReSpec and GitHub
>
> Before you start - unfortunately, there are a few process things you
> need to do. **These steps can take about 1-2 weeks to complete**.

It's probably worth noticing that you only need to do that once. After
you have approval, things are automatic.

> ## The Token You will need to get a token for your spec from the W3C.
> You can request this while you are waiting for WG consensus through
> the CFC (see above)! Email either your team contact or
> webreq@w3.org.

It might be worth noting that it's nicer to ask your team contact than
to make the systeam carry the weight of producing tokens for all.

> ```BASH touch ECHIDNA ```

Note that this file can have any name you want, it's just a manifest.

> 1. In ECHIDNA, you need to list the main spec file and any dependent
> images or other files. For example:
>
> ```TEXT # ECHIDNA configuration
> index.html?specStatus=WD;shortName=appmanifest respec
> images/manifest-src-directive.svg ```

It's not clear to me why you're passing configuration options to the
file there. I would presume that shortName is already defined in the
spec. The spec-generator is smart enough to add the specStatus for you,
too. You can just make it be "index.html respec".

It might be worth building a tool that can just update this. Two things
are worth noting:

   - the primary specification file should be first
   - things like .htaccess will be dropped on the floor

> 1 Run your spec over the new PubRules and fix all the errors.
> PubRules won't accept a raw ReSpec document, so you can basically
> modify the following to suit your document:

Note that Specberus (the new pubrules) will support raw ReSpec at some
point. If you have the cycles, feel free to patch it in ;)

>  1. Ok! now run the following using curl. You will need:
>
> * `url=`: the URL to your echidna config on GitHub, as served from
> GitHub pages (usually `http://w3c.github.io/YourSpecName/ECHIDNA`). *
> `decision=`: URL to the working group decision on a w3c mailing
> list. * `token=` the token you got from the W3C.
>
> Got 'em? Good! now replace all the bits below...
>
> ```BASH curl 'https://labs.w3.org/echidna/api/request' --data
> 'url=<echidnaConfigURL>&decision=<decisionUrlOnMailingList>&token=<W3Ctoken>

I guess someone could go *crazy* and build a form for this :)

> Finally, once you do that, you can check if your document actually
> got published by going to the [TR-Notification
> list](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tr-notifications/).
> If something went wrong, it will tell you what happened (and
> hopefully what you need to fix!).

The curl call above also returns an ID which you can use to check
things. Just go to
https://labs.w3.org/echidna/api/status?id=<the-id-you-got-back> and
you'll get a JSON dump of the status (that is hopefully relatively
self-explanatory). Again, this is a somewhat rough edge, it wouldn't be
the end of the world to slap a UI on top of this.