Re: WG-NOTE and Previous Version

On Feb 15, 2014, at 6:06 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 13/02/2014 14:47 , Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> A Working Group Note does not need to have been previously published
>> as a Working Draft.
>
> Right, but does that not make it a FPWG-NOTE?

Hi Robin,

This may or may not help:

 * I thought the original question was "Do you need to publish a WD before you publish a NOTE?" In state transition terms, no.
 * It may be that there are mechanisms in place to help the publishing process. Like a clear label to distinguish the first NOTE
   from other ones. For example, if we are looking for the previous version link, it's nice to say to the checker "There isn't one, this
   is the first time this NOTE has been published."

I see you using these labels:

 FPWG-NOTE means "first in the series"
 NOTE means "any one after the first"

If that's what the labels mean, then, by definition a NOTE would have a previous version link, and a FPWG-NOTE would not.

Ian

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447