Re: IDL problem

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:43:13 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On 18/09/2013 18:09 , Richard Ishida wrote:
> PS: I'm really starting to wonder whether I should reconsider using
> respec. It's so brittle!  The last three documents I've tried to publish
> would have been published *much* faster if I'd just used a text editor.
>   Do we have adequate tests in place, and are they used after people
> tweak the code?

No one is making you use it Richard :)

In this case you tried to use the output from Anolis as input to ReSpec.
That's a bit like printing a Word document to PDF then trying to
manipulate it as if it were HTML: you're going to have a bad time!

The test suite can of course be improved but it catches a lot of issues
already. As far as I know we've only had two or three regressions over
the ~40 releases that shipped in the past 12 months.

What it does not do at this stage is linting and validation of the input
content. It might have caught your mistake (I guess it could detect
output documents and the presence of Anolis markers). It's on the todo
list, but it's a bit of work so unlikely to happen super soon unless
someone jumps on it.