Re: Please don't shout or throw things at this respec newbie

Robin Berjon writes:

> Henry, Henry, Henry...
>
> Have we ever thrown anything at you before?

Well, maybe not . . .  But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
cure. . . :-)

> On 03/06/2013 16:00 , Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>> I prefer to edit my specs in XML.  I have a usable respec+XHTML source
>> doc't, which previews correctly in browsers.  Or, rather, I thought I
>> did.
>>
>> It works with specStatus="unofficial", but not with specStatus="ED".
>> In the later case, it fails (Chrome, Opera) with "DOM Exception 12"
>> (Chrome), "DOMException: SYNTAX_ERR
>
> This is quite interesting. I don't recall ever seeing it before. Do
> you have a pointer to the document in question? It will likely be
> faster if I debug it myself.
>
> I have a suspicion that this may be an XHTML problem. Is there any
> chance that you are not only editing your document as XHTML, but also
> serving it as application/xhtml+xml (or, which amounts to the same in
> some browsers, loading it from disk with a .xhtml extension)?

Serving as application..., yes.

> It's been a while since I've used XHTML in any form, but I have dim
> memories of innerHTML not working there.

That does ring a bell, yes.

> If that's the case, I'm afraid the only fix will be to switch to
> HTML (at least for the media type), because removing all uses of
> innerHTML would be a major undertaking.

The fact that it works with specStatus="unofficial" suggests that your
use of innerHTML is pretty modest, so I have some hope . . .

I'll send you a private note as to where you can find the doc't, as
it's not ready for public viewing just yet. . .

Thanks for your help,

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk