Re: Respec bugs

On May 7, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 07/05/2013 16:22 , Richard Ishida wrote:
>> Scratch [4]. Looks like you need to choose FPWD, rather than FPWD-NOTE,
>> and set noRecTrack to true.
>>
>> I'd recommend changing FPWD-NOTE to FPNOTE to make things clearer, if
>> that is really what is intended.
>
> To be honest I have no clue whatsoever what FPWD-NOTE is supposed to do. At some point there was a lot of confusion over the process to publish Notes, and this confusion is supported in the code. I *think* that the correct thing is to remove everything related to Notes that isn't final since those are handled by the WD process.
>
> I still think that the Note process makes no sense whatsoever, but that's a battle I've given up on :)

Notes were used for about everything 20 years ago. Over time we decided to try this model:

 * There are 2 formal end states for W3C tech reports: Rec and Note.
 * There are 2 formal start states: WD and Note.  (Thus, Note can be both start and end state).
 * If a group plans to work on a thing that they intend to make a note, they should publish WD, WD, WD, Note.
 * Of course even something that you think you are done with you may choose to revise later. So a "Note" means "done" in the
   sense of "at least for now we think we are done."

Ian

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447