Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On Friday, 16 December 2011 at 19:22, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> But we are, I think, getting a little off-topic, except to note that
> sometimes you want to say, "use the latest/current X", sometimes, "use
> version 3 but 3.2 or later of X", sometimes "use version 3.2 exactly",
> and the references of course must reflect that.

I agree. However, some groups unknowingly restrict this kind of referencing. For example, the XML Sec WG has put a version number into the short name of the XML Dig Sig specs, hence, you can't ever point to the latest REC (and you are always bound to some version… I think XML Canonicalization does the same :( ).

I think the W3C should mandate that every versioned specification alway have a /latest/ (or similar, like Unicode does) for people who just want the latest Rec of a spec. Or do what SVG, Widgets, etc. do, where the short name always points to the latest Rec.

That way, all the use cases Liam gave above can be covered.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au