Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On 12/15/2011 5:08 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> I agree. My working assumption is that all specs have bugs, but newer
> versions fix old bugs but introduce new ones. Over time, updated specs
> may have less bugs and eventually stabilise.

No, not foreseeable and avoidable ones. In many cases. Let's say that
specification S(V1) references Unicode(V1). Now unicode is updated. In many
cases it's crucial that users of S >not< start using that specification
with Unicode(V2) until the group responsible for S specifies a way of doing
so that's secure and interoperable. For that reason, it may be appropriate
for S(V1) to reference specifically Unicode(V1).

I should say I'm also a bit concerned about the tone of this discussion. I
respect your opinion on these things, Marcos, and it's possible that in
some of the cases where we disagree experience may prove you right.
Nonetheless, the tone of this interaction seems to be that you are setting
out potentially controversial points of view (e.g. of course forward
references to specs cause bugs...stuff happens), and are essentially
setting them up as the default position for discussion. If you are serving
as de-fact editor for a redesign of W3C specification formats and
standards, then I think you should solicit opinions on questions like
biblio conventions in a more neutral way, and where possible, try to go
with the opinion that either commands consensus, or failing that, best
matches the full range of current practice. If you have suggestions, that's
great. Many of the decisions we've been discussing on this thread are
pretty subtle, involve difficult tradeoffs, and have been the subject of
long debate by some pretty experienced people for quite awhile. I'd prefer
we not come at them in a style of: "surely this is the answer, any
problems?" I'd much rather see a short list of options, with as clear a
listing as we can get of the pros and cons.

Thank you.

Noah