Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On Wednesday, 14 December 2011 at 22:06, Shane McCarron wrote:

> On 12/14/2011 4:02 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> >
> > The convention is simple:
> >
> > [FOO] always points to the latest version, i.e. for W3C that's /TR/foo/
> > [FOO-20120315] is the dated version, i.e. for W3C /TR/2012/WD-foo-20120315/
> > [FOO-20120315] should _never_ happen, unless you are doing something non-normative: "Because of screwups in [FOO-20120315], bla bla bla"
>

> I actually disagree. If 20120315 is a REC anyway. There are LOTS of
> specs that need to reference a specific version of another spec. Look
> at XHTML Modularization, for example. It references XML 1.0 Fourth
> Edition even though there are later editions available. There were
> important technical reasons for this.

Are you saying that to implement XHTML Modularization I have to support whatever bugs are in XML Fourth Edition (forever), and I need to have a separate implementation of XML Fifth Edition (which does not interact with XHTML) for other XML documents? And that I can't ever update my XML Parser to XML.Next to be used with XHTML Modularization because XHTML forces me to implement Forth Edition?

> Regardless, there needs to be a
> way to do this. Normatively.

If the above is true, then that is pretty bad.