Re: Using GitHub for specification development

On Nov 9, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2011, at 17:02 , Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> We've been using GitHub to generate the JSON-LD specs [1] [2]. It has, indeed, been useful for people to enter comments in-line, and we use the GitHub issue tracker instead of the W3C tracker. What this misses is automatically updating issues based on email threads referencing the issues; but this could probably to added with a fairly simple robot.
>>
>> Changes are automatically checked out to http://json-ld.org, and commits are broadcast on IRC (#json-ld on irc.freenode.net).
>
> Sexy!
>
> So it seems there's precedent — clearly I should've moved first and asked later ;-)

In our case, the JSON-LD effort started out as it's own project and only later became a CG, so we've inherited the workflow.

> How do you handle contributions? I know you're a CG but it still matters. If I, who isn't on the CG, make a pull request including a substantive change, what happens? Do you ask me to join? Or to sign an RF commitment? Has it simply not happened?

Hasn't really come up yet. Few people make substantive contributions, and they're typically granted write permission to the repo, although at an early state there's usually a pull request. It's a public repo, so anyone can clone and make pull requests. So far, direct contributions have come only from CG members. Our policy should be to require CG membership before any direct contributions are made.

> Concerning the issue tracker, I think that syncing to W3C (or using only W3C) is a hard requirement. GitHub could be taken over by $evil, or could simply go belly up overnight, and we really shouldn't lose WG work over that. That said, they have an API for almost everything, including issues, so it should be very much doable to sync.

Yes, we should definitely go in this direction. Syncing GitHub issues and comments to W3 Tracker should be fairly easy (just a simple matter of programming :P).

> What do you use for your bot notifications, hooks?

The GitHub project admin has a post-receive hook that triggers a PHP (utils/git.php) that does a site update whenever a change is made. There's also an IRC setting that automatically posts to the specified server, port and channel for every update.

Come on in, the water's great!

Gregg