Re: Publication of specifications as HTML5

David Carlisle, Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:59:30 +0100:
> On 23/08/2011 00:05, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>>> What this means is that you can't have any inline scripts or styles
>>> that include left angle brackets or ampersands.  That's a pretty big
>>> restriction.
>>
>> In your previous reply, you said we """should not be talking about
>> polyglot unless we *really* mean polyglot,
>> rather than just "let's make a text/html-to-XML converter
>> available".""" etc. Did you by that mean to suggest that things like
>> <script>/*<![CDATA[*/</*]]>*/</script>  ought to become permitted in
>> Polyglot Markup (and thus in HTMl5 proper too)?
>
> <script>
> //<![CDATA[
>
> is already allowed in html5 and xhtml5 (the restriction on CDATA
> nodes in html5 text/html does not apply here as that construct does
> not form a CDATA node in text/html it is simply  the characters
> //<![CDATA[ as a text child of script.

Hah. An excellent point. :-D Blush. A CDATA section inside SCRIPT or
STYLE in the text/html serialization, is nto a CDATA section ...
Stumbling in the logics here ...

> It is just forbidden in polyglot on the grounds of dom-compatibility
> (although there is a bug report suggesting that be relaxed here).

You mean the one PLH filed?

>> One would then, I guess, have to define a polyglot script escape
>> mechanism?
>
> polyglot spec can't define new quoting mechanisms, it can just define
> quoting mechanisms which work in xml and html parsing.

Arye said it can't be done automatically. Not sure what exactly he
meant by that . But, with sufficient interest, I guess a
"polyglot-a-lizer" could take care of escaping in a polyglot way - that
was what I meant. Not a new syntaxt - just a polyglot escaping library
- or whatever.
--
Leif H Silli