Re: WebIDL support in ReSpec2

On Oct 20, 2010, at 00:10 , Cameron McCormack wrote:
> What advantages does ReSpec2 have over ReSpec 1?  (And should I start
> using it?)

As Gregg said it's far more modular, it's meant to work on any browser, it can work for non-W3C specs, it's faster on a number of operations, the code is a lot cleaner, and it even has the beginning of a test suite. It's also largely compatible with v1, the only exceptions being:

  - whatever hasn't been ported over;
  - the way that it's linked in and configured.

The downside is that it has benefitted from nowhere near as much testing as v1, and may be buggy. We're also seeing issues with local editing due to the increasingly stringent restrictions that browser vendors place on reading from file:. I'm looking into hacks to keep it working, but we may have to require all dependencies to be loaded from the Web (possibly a local web server).

Of course, if you want to pick it up and help hack on it, we'd be very happy about that :)

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/