Re: Auto-generated Bibliographies

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 05:10, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> [...]
> >  So I want
> > to put in my spec
> >
> >   <rdfbib>
> >    <xi:include href="http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf#http..__www.w3.org_TR_2001_REC-SVG-20010904"/>
> >   </rdfbib>
>
> Odd; I'd expect just...
>
> <rdfbib ref="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904"/>

That would work, and Dom's next message outlines how, I agree on both
counts.

We've all gotten used to that approach, but I think it has bad
modularisation properties, to say nothing of being very slow for
documents the size of tr.rdf (which will grow by some significant
factor with all dated versions, as we all seem to agree are wanted),
and I'd much rather use XInclude here.

I'm finding XML pipeline think increasingly useful/powerful, and so
although I agree the above is the right thing to put in the XML
original governed by xmlspec.dtd, for processing it I'd still prefer
to use a multi-step pipeline which translated that into an appropriate
xi:include, targetting either an offline-generated, Pubrules-correct
xhtml version of tr.rdf or, perhaps, targetting a just-in-time xhtml
version created for only the referenced items.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team