Re: Auto-generated Bibliographies

Dominique Hazaël-Massieux <dom@w3.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:26, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> > Any chance of getting a stable ID on each of the entries in that
> > document?  Then I'll put together a two - stage XML Pipeline (XInclude
> > plus XSLT) which will give everybody exactly what they want.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by stable... You have different keys that you
> can use depending on what you need, but that may or may not be as stable
> as you would wish:
> * the rdf:about attribute for each document allows to retrieve the
> information on a specific version of a document; but it disappears as
> soon as a new version is published

I _think_ that's not what we want -- if you look at the normative
references sections of most of our RECs, they refer to _dated_
versions of other RECs.

> (we could probably set up a new publication process where the
> informations on all the versions of the document are kept)

That _is_ what we want, in my opinion.

> * doc:version/rdf:resource allows you to retrieve the information on the
> last version of a document.
>
> More explicitly, one should only need to put:
> <refbiblio href="http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/" /> to get all the
> informations integrated in the final document using the data in
> tr.rdf...

But that's rarely what we want in a bibliography, I don't think.

> > Something of the form
> >   . . . id="http:__www.w3.org_TR_2001_REC-SVG-20010904"
> > would do the job.
>
> I'm not sure we need to use another key but the URI of the latest
> version.

Re latest version, see above.  The problem with URIs is that they are
not valid XML IDs (oops, even the version I have above is wrong, the
colon needs to be replaced as well).  And the only nearly-official
stable fragment identifier syntax we have for XML is IDs.  So I want
to put in my spec

  <rdfbib>
   <xi:include href="http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf#http..__www.w3.org_TR_2001_REC-SVG-20010904"/>
  </rdfbib>

and have that work forever.  By 'stable' I mean that it will continue
to work as the order of elements in tr.rdf changes.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team